Important information on the import of existing safes into new Generation 11.
Shortly after the release of Steganos Safe 11 – which is also part of Steganos Privacy Suite 11 – we received very few notices of problems occurring when importing older Safe files into the new generation 11.
Even if these are only individual cases, we strongly recommend you to create backups of your Safe files before importing them into the new generation.
Find your Safe files
This is really easy: Steganos software stores your Safe files (%NAME_OF_SAFE%.sle) in this default location:
- VISTA --> C:\Users\%YOUR_USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Steganos\
- XP --> C:\Documents and Settings\%YOUR_USERNAME%\Application Data\Steganos\
How to create a backup
To create a backup of your Safe files, just follow these instructions:
- Please open the location where the Safe file is located by using Windows Explorer/My Computer
- Please copy the Safe file you want to import:
- Right-click on the Safe file and choose "copy"
- Go to a different folder
- Paste the Safe file there (click "edit => paste" or "click right mouse => paste)
- Please make sure that the location where you are going to paste the backup has enough free space to hold the backup copy, and do not cancel the paste-process until it is finished completely.
- Then please proceed as known to import your Safe from the original file(!) of the known default location.
You don't need to worry about your Privacy, the copied Safe file is, of course, still fully AES256bit encrypted and cannot be opened without your Password.
You don't find the default location?
In case you don't find the default location above, you may need to show the hidden files in Windows first:
- Windows XP:
Please click in Windows Explorer/MyComputer "Tools => Folder Options => View => advanced settings" -> check "show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "hide protected operating system files". Confirm with "OK" and wait a second while Windows Explorer will update the screen.
- Windows VISTA:
Please click in Windows Explorer/Computer "Organize => Folder and Search Options => View => advanced Settings" -> check "show hidden Files and folders" and confirm with "OK".
After this procedure you are able to access important Windows system files. If you delete or convert them accidentally, the operability of you computer can be damaged. Therefore, we recommend changing the status of the Windows system files again to "hidden" after the successful backup of your Safe files. Just repeat the steps described above and uncheck the option "show all files and folders".
If you need further information, our support is happy to assist you. Just contact us under http://www.steganos.com/support
Last update: 2009-04-21 16:09